Friday, November 19, 2010

Kristen said I am not an Artist

Faces might be the easiest thing to draw. People are always looking for faces, seeing them even where they are not. Picasso miserably--and beautifully--distorted faces yet still people looked and saw the face he had created. I can draw a face and my audience will see a face because we all are looking for faces. In crowds of strangers, I look for people I might know, people who might look somewhat familiar. At my university, thousands of miles away from my high school, three years since I've seen these people, I get pangs of recognition at a face before I realize that person, whom I am remembering and recognizing on a strangers face, is 1700 miles away.

Once, I walked into a classroom here my freshman year and saw a girl sitting by an empty chair and a strong dislike rose up within me. I realized after the class that I was associating her with a girl from my high school. Bizarre.

Lately, with my high school memories fading, it doesn't happen as much. The other week I was talking with friends from high school and they were naming all these people and showing me all these faces and I recognized none fully and some vaguely. In part this is because I really lived in my own happy world in high school and didn't pay attention much to people around me who I found uninteresting. But people who had profound meaning to me, who if I saw now I might not recognize, if I see their face upon another's, the face I remember from high school, I'll have that remembrance feeling before I remember that I am forgetting where I am now.

3 comments:

  1. ooh, creepy picture! And I completely know what you mean! I've definitely actually started calling someone, thinking they were a friend from home, before realizing they are a complete stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is scary...


    Infants have a preference for faces when they're only a few months old, and research suggests that face recognition is hardwired at birth, not learned. Infants also prefer to look at attractive faces. This explains why children stare at me all of the time...

    ReplyDelete