Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Follow Your Heart...

...says the wrapper of my Dove dark chocolate pieces, the lyrics of unremarkable and outrageously popular pop songs, and (probably) every movie I ever watched as a child.

To them I say: NO.

My heart is usually only asking me to do one or two things: Drink Wine. Eat Chocolate.

Or even: Eat Chocolate. Drink Wine.

Sometimes it wants me to do both while reading, but I spend more money on books, less on wine and chocolate; the equation becomes disproportionate.

But I cannot drink wine and eat chocolate endlessly whilst reading delicious books. And that makes the phrase "follow your heart" rather misleading--unless, it is meant to dissuade people from achieving success and social acceptance, in which case to those perpetrators of the phrase I say, "Well played."

1 comment: